Saturday, July 15, 2006

I'm Melting or Slip Sliding Away

It is hot, hot, hot and I have been busy, busy, busy.
Yesterday morning I went grocery shopping. It had been a couple of weeks so think two shopping carts. I drug it all home and got it put away, made a quick clean of the house and took off to pick up L from camp. She and E were supposed to be in the 4-H parade but..obviously L wasn't here and E had a softball game. It was so muggy in the woods picking L up and there was a very nice, but very humid worship service before I could bring her home. The odor from her wet, wet clothes was, shall we say, reminiscent of gym class. I dropped her off at home, told her to take a shower and go lay down and ran to E's softball game. It was 9pm by then but... they got a late start because it poured rain for about 10 minutes. That 10 minutes was of course during E's walk to the diamond. Ooops, sorry kiddo. I had a very,very tired A and F with me. The game finally got over about 10:30pm. I came home and got kids to bed and started on the laundry. Gross!
Saturday morning dawned stifling already when I got up at 6:30. I worked some more on L's laundry because I knew S would be coming home with all his stuff today. I begged him a ride home with some other parents so I could be at soccer evaluations at 9:00. Next we ran to the store to get some materials for dd's 4-H Arts&Crafts project. (Have I mentioned my complete lack of the crafting gene?) S was home when we got back so we started on his incredibly nasty laundry while I helped E with hot glue, maribou feathers and beading. By now it was 98. E had a softball game at 3pm. What a crappy time. Even worse than the middle of the night. I took L,F and Mel. We drank all the water I brought and then I bought about 4 bottles more. I really began to worry about Mel, who was beyond sweaty so I got our umbrella to shade us. Yes we looked stupid, but it helped some. They were still playing at 5:30 when I needed to leave to go to L's baseball cookout/party. Poor E was left to walk home. We went to the party for an hour and then headed to the other baseball park to watch F play in the championship t-ball game. It was still beastly hot and they ended up losing by one run. Oh, well! The upshot of all this is that I feel like I have been in a swedish sauna all day without benefit of that refreshing plunge into the icy arctic. It's baths all round here, and perhaps a bracing vodka tonic.

No comments: