Saturday, August 12, 2006

Home School Fantasy

It's that time of year again. The time of year I indulge in a home school fantasy. (The only other fantasy I have is actually finishing a cup of coffee while it is hot.) I see on my visits around blogdom that some schools have actually already started. In the frickin' middle of summer! I thought the 23rd was bad enough.

For the record I hate sending my kids to school. I miss them, and so I fantasize about homeschooling. In the fantasy they read literature, easily pick up math from cooking and trips to the store and salivate at the thought of a trip to the art museum. Alas, I am sure that it would just be more fantasy novels, play station and pictures of monsters drawn in crayon. What I'm really fantasizing about is the relaxed summer atmosphere. Playing cards late into the night, swimming all day, bike rides. No lunch, no baths. (What, a cheese stick and swimming don't count?)

I hate the two weeks leading up to school. Everyone I know feels compelled to ask me if I'm ready for school to start. Don't these people like their kids? Unfortunately I know myself. My attention span is aproximately two minutes long. I would take unschooling to new levels. So, I buy gym shoes and paper and get ready for the take a bath, check homework, check what they put in their lunches slog. But I don't have to like it. And I can still fantasize about keeping them home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way.

I know that I would be disorganized and flighty with homeschool so I don't dare try it.

Yet with public middle school as bad as it is, it may come to homeschooling after all.

Unknown said...

{{{ HUGS }}}

Karen

Jody said...

I have the same fantasy! And I know myself all too well.

If Bill were home, he would do a fantastic job of homeschooling the kids. but, we have to have his income. Sigh.

Lori said...

I feel the same way. We only have 2 weeks left and I'm bummed! Where did the summer go? I've also had thoughts of home-schooling, but they are fleeting. We would have way too many free and goof around days. At least we do have a really good public school. I miss the kids, though. Makes me wanna cry.