Thursday, November 05, 2009

Rules of Engagement


Sometimes you just have to sit and listen to your kids and be amused. Yesterday in the car Mel was bemoaning the fact that she didn't know how to get married. F explained it to her.
"First you go to high school and date someone you like maybe two times. Then you get engaged. Dad walks you to church and leaves you with the guy up front. The engager makes you promise stuff. Then you're married. Then he has to get a job." This was followed by the pronouncement "I'm staying single. I don't want a job." I was laughing by then. I think we need to study ceremony, mating rituals and gender roles. Then again, as I pointed out to them, they are 6 and 8 and have a little time to work all that out.

1 comment:

Paula said...

Griff announced that he and his friend Sammie (Samantha) at school are going to get married. I about swallowed my toothbrush when he said that!